03 November 2009

A Pause for Refreshment - Sain De La Peau

Have you ever held a catalpa leaf, a paulownia leaf and a redbud leaf in your hand? Have you ever watched a moving comet, asteroid or meteor in a telescope? Have you ever sat for a single day and watched the shadow of a sundial count the hours?

One student of mine told me his boss is paying him, since real work is limited right now, to help build a house for Habitat for Humanity, wanting to keep the work crew together and employed, their skills finely tuned to what the boss needs when the economy picks back up. Great news! Because of that, a friend of mine wants to employ those folks in house construction to do work around his house in recognition of another entrepreneur's actions to put people in the right place during an economic downturn.

Another student of mine has started her own company and should be overwhelmed by all that's going on in her life - selling her home, buying a new home, moving her house furnishings and her business, taking care of a grandchild and going to school - but she is happily tired. Her desire to run her own business drives her to joy.

Other students look forward to better employment days ahead. How do I inspire them to see they have the knowledge and skills to start their own businesses and be successful, even in these times? They can use many available laws and opportunities in the medical, education and government sectors at this very moment.

Is Ralph Hood the Flying Humourist still around? Folks like him have poked holes in my funny bone through the years. Just like ol' Jerry Clower and his tales of the Ledbetter family. Finding the universal in the local. Seemingly simple humour that makes you think and smile. Intellectual satire is not the only audible, suborbital oracle in town.

The tufted titmouse birds are upset with me today. They really expect me to go out and fill the feeders in the backyard. The woodpeckers had tapped their Morsel code to me earlier today. I still haven't gotten in my head that investment profits can be used for consumables. Instead, I find salary to buy my celery and tasty treats for pillorying aviary chatterboxes.

Smiles at lunch today on the faces of Tai Pan employees/owners. I feel like the whole world is smiling back. Smiles lead to conversation and laughter, new memories to talk about again next time. Circles and spirals. Fall leaves and meteorites. Woodpeckers instead of turkeys. Nature's tale, no storyline or punchline needed.

The older I get, more pieces of the blinders fall away from my eyes, revealing the world, the universe around me. Above. Behind. Below. Beside. The more I see and sense, the more I see and sense I am not separate from any of it. We all see and sense we are the same but somehow, for some reason, we tell ourselves and others we are separate.

I do not change the world solely by telling you we are the same. I change the world by treating myself and others the same, active in the social connections around us, honest in expressing my emotions and thoughts so we can see and hear we all have happiness, joys, fears and doubts we think are our own.

We can celebrate our heritage, our history, our past while others do the same and have love, happiness and fun for everyone to enjoy. Find the real reason to give special thanks for political and/or military victories and leave behind the momentary buildup of hatred of the enemy of the time. Will we rewrite history in the process? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? No. Our ancestors are still our ancestors and worth remembering now and forever more, realising they were just like us, with emotions and thoughts that contradicted those of their neighbours but they loved their neighbours anyway. So can we.

Time to enjoy the outdoors free of this electronic tether for a while. Have a thoughtful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment