14 May 2009

Soy Wax

Yesterday, I bought a set of sidewalk chalk that included two pairs of children's glasses for viewing colors in three dimensions ("Crayola 3-D Sidewalk Chalk"). My wife and I had heard about these from a friend of ours and hoped to find a set that included paint instead of chalk but never did. Instead, yesterday afternoon, I used a sketch pad and ink brush pens to create an abstract work of art that has interesting three-dimensional aspects when seen through the glasses. Perhaps I'll scan the picture and post it tomorrow.

I paid $9 for the chalk/glasses set, essentially shelling out $4.50 a piece for the glasses because I don't need the chalk (I don't have a dark enough driveway to get the full 3D effect of the chalk). Surfing the Web, I found similar glasses available at 3Dstereo.com and rainbowsymphony.com. I've bought products from both of them in the past and feel comfortable listing them here as sellers (for the record, I make no money from my recommendation). They're also available from 3dglassesonline.com, which has a cool gallery devoted to these glasses.

This looks like a good definition of the color-separation, 3D effect: ChromaDepth®

What is reality? Is a candle made of beeswax? Does a candle made of soy wax burn any brighter? Perhaps. But isn't a candle a candle no matter how the wick burns? Is an LED-flicker candle any less romantic than one that burns oxygen to provide light/mood? I burn a candle in my study all day long, using ones made of soy wax, and enjoy the flickering light, rising soot and scent of the candle, so to me a wax-based candle is more useful than an LED one, regardless of wax type.

The same question applies to looking at images through ChromaDepth glasses, even the ones from Crayola. Should an image have any less impact looking at it with the naked eye versus one created by the ChromaDepth lens? Only the viewer can say for sure, if price is no object and strange color combinations move you.

Oh well, time to eat lunch and then prepare for tonight's class. I blow out the candle and say "à demain"!

No comments:

Post a Comment