01 June 2009

Falling In Love Again

[Written using the OpenOffice.org 2.4.1 Writer program]

While reading “Out of Our Heads” and wondering about the performance of a department chair during her presentation on Saturday, I ask myself why I stopped desiring to invent new words and phrases?

I fell in love again. Amazing, huh? Why, why, why...some adult relationships are beyond impossible; indeed, simply untouchable. Best put some possibilities on a pedestal and call it a day.

My deliberation of thought feeds the delusion I will reach a new human conclusion that applies to more than my situation (generic as opposed to specific, in zeitgeist terms, of course).

I think back to my Saturday morning training and wonder what I observed. What makes us unique? What makes us special? Why do we strive to carve out a niche in the wall of human experience? Do we not realize...oh, what's the point? So many of us don't try to carve out a niche – that's what bothers me even more.

“Out of Our Heads” seems to both agree with and argue against Daniel Dennett. I feel like I'm watching a debate in slo-mo about the brain and consciousness. I'm still waiting on what defines and separates waking from sleeping/unconsciousness and how I can use that information to improve my life.

Echoes in my head of Dan at Schnitzel Ranch saying it was actually good to talk with a truly intelligent, intellectual person the other day (not me). I agree with him – it's refreshing to find someone who has a cohesive view of the world based on facts and not on conjecture like me.

Two new words I've learned lately – hybristic and distal. I'll have to figure out how to sneak them into my writing without showing off my new knowledge.

My limitations face me today like the edges of a folded map. Such obviousness obliterates my tendency to creativity. I am the ashes of a wildfire stirred up and dispersed by the wind, always a part of the world and never outside of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment