05 June 2009

What does amber smell like?

On top of the wardrobe, four objects. Metal wire bent and shaped - welded, tinned or soldered together. Enclosures. Containers. Empty and yet full. Bird cages. Decorations.

Jumping on into "The Ego Tunnel" by Thomas Metzinger, all while spending time with my wife's cousin and spouse, Margo and Maurice, and seeing the area.

Observing the lives of others, including humans and ducks.

Wh..who...what...watch out. The world is full of people wanting to be heard. At the same time, we want to help others. Our lives arc. We go from being the center of attention to raising our own centers of attention who attend to us in our last days. In my culture, we may care for our young two decades or longer. Should we expect our young to care for us just as long? Good question.

Suggestions to me this morning: read the book, "A Walk In The Woods," and see the movie, "Outsourced." On the list. Can't suggest it yet.

I do recommend the restaurant, Basil Thai, in Black Mountain, North Carolina, as well as the B&B, Arbor House. We enjoyed both earlier this week. Also, Roni's restaurant near Asheville, an inexpensive Italian/Greek place.

Everywhere we go we hear people say, "Thank goodness you shopped/ate here. We need the business." When I was a young man starting out in the corporate world, I was told that a business owner should never admit sales are low because it might give customers the impression you won't be able to support the products they buy. However, if one is buying souvenirs or food, does it matter if the business will close the next day? Probably not. Then I guess it's okay for retail shopkeepers to thank customers and beg them to come back soon. The local economy suffers badly enough, in other words, that begging is no longer out of the question.

Thought for the day, and then I'll stop to write notes to nieces and nephews:

When I get a little money, I buy BOOKS; if any is left I buy food and clothes. -- Desiderius Erasmus, 1466-1536

No comments:

Post a Comment