22 June 2009

A Reader Asks...

A reader asked why I seem so serious all the time. She's almost too scared to do things on the Internet.

First of all, for those who've found interest in reading my notes/blog, let me tell you I am a satirist. I teach a computer class, which deals in part with Internet security, so my recent writing has reflected topics on computers, security, cyborgs, and the like. However, much of that writing is in satirical form, making some of the humor "inside jokes" (although I've tried to generalize them as much as possible).

As I told the reader, the dangers of the Internet should be thought of as no better or worse than the chance of having a road mishap, getting your purse/wallet snatched or any other encounter between what you have and a person who wants what you have. Use common sense and don't give away your computer passwords or password hints ("What's the name of your mother's brother's sister's dog's parent's favorite toy and where was it bought or manufactured?").

No comments:

Post a Comment