20 June 2009

What Do You See In Someone Else's Eyes?

Meditate on the moment...time does not exist, I do not exist, existence does not exist because these words do not exist, life is change is death is everything is nothing is the universe. I am the spider web spun while this body that is not-me slept, collecting dewdrops, and reflecting the morning sunlight. Morning does not exist, only light/shadow transition lines traversing the planet as it spins like a top elliptically circling the sun.

Can you see yourself reflected in another person's eyes? Can you hear what you sound like in another person's ears?

We want to think we can identify each other by names, numbers and other linguistic clues. But I don't know names, numbers or linguistic clues. Either I know you or I don't. I know the squirrel racing up the tree in front of the house but I don't know it as "squirrel" or "Mr. Chewy Peanut." I know it as "furry, tree-climbing animal with small patch of fur missing out of its tail who eats too much of the birdseed and nests in the shaggy bark tree with the trunk bent at an angle."

We don't know each other by our names. We know each other by our distinguishing features, how we interact with one another and the world around us. A name is a static image but neither you nor I are static images. Don't confuse knowing a list of static images as knowledge. I am not Rick. I am the reflection in your eyes and the sound of my voice in your ears that I can't hear. We are intimately entwined. When you fully understand that, you will find a way to talk with your neighbor about your disagreements and learn to drop the labels of hate, anger and miscomprehension. Hate, anger and miscomprehension only reflect back on the person who expresses those sentiments, not the person upon whom the sentiments are directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment