11 January 2010

Dunnes Stores NP/0879

Some days, while taking a walk through the trails and trials of my neighbourhood full of neighbours in their homes doing whatever neighbours do, I mentally move into the shoes of a person walking a different part of the planet; for instance, seeing myself and my friends walking the streets of Munich or Dublin, jogging around Lenexa or Ft. Lauderdale, exploring the towns within the towns of Toronto, sipping coconut milk in Ensenada.

Rare icicles hang from the gutter outside the window today, slender magnifying glasses or pipettes sending out drops of sunlight onto the ground out of sight.

Our nearly naked Cornish Rex cats huddle under the heated blanket in the master bedroom.

Meanwhile, people are dying, blind people are typing notes to their friends, and I check the weather conditions around the rest of this globular global glob in a blog.

Are you you or do you pretend to be the results of thousands of years of history by the people who died in your culture/family?

Do you have money to spend to influence those around you or do you depend on yourself and your culture/family to influence others?

On whom do you depend for food, clothing, shelter and leisure/happiness?

During the Internet/technology boom of the late 1990s, people created business cards with artistic designs and imaginary job titles. As I said, my title at the time was "Miracle Worker." I thought the time of unusual business cards was over until I recently received a business card with a fortune and lucky lottery number on the back. Now, I can spend my time focusing on my fortune, "Today you will receive a great surprise," and see if 4 7 12 23 26 34 -8- are my lucky numbers this week, bringing me a fortune.

A recent fortune at Tai Pan Palace told me that real estate is my future. I'm inclined to agree.

Reminds me that walking is a time for relaxing, letting my thoughts wander, playing with words and images to create fortunes for myself and others, sometimes coming up with hilarious juxtapositions that would probably not work in the real world, such as combining mandatory public education with prisons so that those students who do not perform well [cannot read] by third grade can be sent to work in the prison system and save our culture from agony and pain while dealing with the poor performers throughout the rest of their lives in public education and afterward. Would lower the cost of public education and prisons, perhaps? Don't take me seriously - just thoughts while slipping and sliding on ice this morning. Sorry, too much influence from reading the fiction of my youth, "Brave New World," "Nineteen Eighty-Four," Kafka, Solzhenitsyn, etc. Suppose I ought to go out to dosomething.org and make up for my non-bleedingheart thoughts (told you I'm not perfectly aligned socially - compassion is a relative value to me, knowing there are others who have loving and caring without end).

Imagine a neighbourhood where all the rooftops are painted with patterns and designs reflecting the personalities of the buildings' occupants, including adverts for those who run their own businesses, free from having to pay revenues to local governments for freedom of speech activities like this blog or a search site like Google.

When do the rights of those who live in self-sufficiency no longer matter to those who need others to depend on? I cannot say. I am not self-sufficient. Instead, I am dependent on a lot of people for me to be me right now. My investments depend on the growth of the economy. Every job I had depended on someone buying a product so that I could make a salary. I've never lived solely on the land and made my own tools, food, clothing and shelter. I am a social creature dependent on you, trusting that we make decisions that take all of us into account, increasing our opportunities to make money when people voluntarily purchase goods and services as opposed to increasing the amount of money we have to take from each other to live.

Which takes me to the next blog entry...

No comments:

Post a Comment