12 January 2010

The Writers Workshop

"So, Jed, let me get this right. You're saying that when a writer uses real people as characters in a story, the writer should change some of the people's details to prevent issues later on?"

"From my experience, yes. Joanna, what do you think about that?"

"Well, my stories haven't been published so I don't have the experiences you do."

"You mean no one has read your stories?"

"Well, you guys and a few of my siblings."

"And none of us has recognized ourselves in your stories?"

"None of you are in my stories."

"I see. Joseph, what about you?"

"I haven't published anything, either. In fact, I haven't written anything yet. I'm here because my friends think I should write down some of the wild stories I make up all the time."

"Uh huh. Very good. We want writers, new and old, to exercise their imaginations. Joseph, you don't have to write down anything, if you don't want. It's more important that you understand the creative process within you and then decide if you want to share that on paper or somewhere else."

"Cool. Look, I've got to go. I didn't know this was an all-day Saturday gig."

"No problem, Joseph. But I can't refund your money if you leave."

"Hey, I understand. Seeya later."

"Well, class, Joseph is a great example of what you probably were, perfectly aware of your gift of storytelling but unable to fully grasp the social implications of what that gift means to others. Everyone pull out the netbook tucked under the seat in front of you and spend the next thirty minutes writing about the first time you wrote a story of your own. Yes, Ja'sequa, what is it?"

"I don't have a netbook."

"Oh, of course. All of you on the front row will have to get a netbook from the cabinet over there. Any other questions? Yes, Jackie?"

"My netbook won't boot up."

"It's probably out of power. All of you should press the side panel on your school desktop and pull out the power cords. I had hoped to have the wireless power network working today but we're shorthanded so you'll have to wait until next session to not worry about old-fashioned power cords. Anyone else? Jim, what is it?"

"Sir, I can't really remember a time when I wasn't writing down what's on my mind."

"Can you recall any early criticisms of your writing, something that sparked you to change the way you wrote?"

"No, sir."

"In that case, is there someone or some event that sparked you to write one of your early stories, some strong memory that stands out from the fuzziness of early childhood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Then write about that."

"Thank you, sir."

"No problem. And you needn't address me so formally. I'm hardly older than many of you here."

"Yes, sir."

"Anyone else? No? Then I'll leave you to your thoughts for a while. I'm going to take a break and will be back in fifteen or twenty minutes. If you have any questions, just text me on my mobile."

= = =

"Jed, hey, what's up?"

"Japonica, how are you?"

"Fine. What are you up to?"

"I'm teaching a virtual class today. As you may not know, the local school system had cancelled many regular classes due to inclement weather so I'm holding a Saturday session via 3D web cam today for my extracurricular creative writing class."

"How's that going?"

"Pretty good, so far. I'm glad this school system is up-to-date on their technology. Makes teaching students stuck at home so much easier. I guess you remember the old days, eh?"

"Don't remind me. Students showing up for Saturday makeup classes in May and June, wearing their PJs and holding protests in the hallways about child labor laws...shoo-ee. Be glad you're a 21st century instructor."

"Indeed. So what are you doing here? I thought you retired."

"I did. I am. I'm checking on the student records for my grandson. They say he'll be held back a year and I'm verifying that they got all his turned-in assignments. His computer's full of completed work but his teacher says he hasn't turned much in."

"Why not just have them send you the records?"

"Confidentiality. I'm not his parents. Grandparents don't count unless they're legal guardians, which I'm not but think I should be."

"Uh-huh. Well, I guess I better check on my students. Most of them seem dedicated..."

"It is a voluntary creative class!"

"Yes, but there's always a few who want to change the direction of the class. Future leaders and all that."

"Every class has them. Today's class clown is tomorrow's bank president!"

"If they only knew... Ah, there's a text message. Gotta go. Good luck talking the office secretary out of your grandson's records."

"Are you kidding? I taught the secretary and her daughter. She'll do anything for me."

= = =

"Joseph, I see you returned."

"Yeah, found out my other thing wasn't going to happen today."

"Very good. You'll just have to catch up with the rest of the class."

"Already done."

"Excellent. So, who wants to go first?"

No comments:

Post a Comment