31 July 2009

Nothing Wrong With Being Thankful

Pam,

You and I don't talk much so I thought I'd send you an email to express my appreciation.

I had never really considered teaching as a career because growing up I had heard the good and bad, the ups and downs, of the education field. My grandmothers were both teachers, my mother was a first grade teacher, my father is a professor, my uncle was a college dean and my in-laws were both teachers (my father in-law also having been a school principal).

Therefore, I figured I knew all there was to know about teaching, especially since I'd also been a student and seen teachers from behind a school desk, both in primary/secondary school and in college. I still have good personal relationships with many of my former school teachers.

You told me you've been teaching for about 14 years, including time at the technical institute, so you know about public education, too.

I suppose you asked me to teach because you saw something in me I do not see in myself. I have lived long enough to know that we don't always know our own potential - often, it takes someone you don't know well to pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses. In this case, you found one of my strengths. For that, I am deeply grateful, and will never be able to repay your kindness except by showing the students what you saw in me that one night many months ago in Marsha's math problem solving class.

Perhaps I will not be teaching students in the fall. If so, that is my destiny. I thank you for the opportunity you gave me to help a few dozen students find their own strengths and weaknesses as discovered during classes at the technical institute for two quarters. They will always be near and dear to me like children - I hope they continue on to successes unimaginable.

Once again, thanks for holding a mirror up to me and showing me my capabilities. I may not have always been good at following all the administrative rules, policies and paperwork at the technical institute, but I hope I was a good teacher.

May you find your own successes at the technical institute - I believe you have what it takes to be dean one day, especially as your children grow up and free time for your career, should you choose to follow that path.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Rick
Adjunct Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment