15 October 2009

Help, I'm Fallon and I Can't Get This Flying Circus Off The Set

In my youth, a playmate of mine introduced me to the comedy right of passage, including an album with a matching tie and handkerchief. Somewhere I have a book by those boys of British humour. Now, 30+ years later, we get a glimpse of the madcap teamwork of the partial Monty on late night U.S. TV. Still having fun and staying out wheelchairs for now, including a stint on IFC later this month.

Pop. Pop. Pop Music. Humour. Television programming.

What about local entertainment? Do we find joy in our own communities?

Of course we do. But we don't get national adverts to pay for them very often. In and around my wife's hometown, international entertainers have roots - Diana Ross, Charlie Chase, "Doc" McConnell, Archie Campbell, Tennessee Ernie Ford. However, local performers are just as talented, musical and funny (sometimes, all three!), carrying separate day jobs and night gigs in their thoughts and actions.

I have played the role of a news junkie lately, using my personal connections and headline news to create a blog to entertain myself. This morning, I sat in the garage, watching chipmunks stopping at my feet and Carolina wrens flying around my head looking for food and shelter inside my domicile. Their lives were my moment of fun, relaxation, humour and entertainment for a couple of hours. They taught me that I've been repeating myself in ways that may not add to advancement of my species. But then again, it might. If the 40-year old genius of the Monty Python writers/actors can keep them going and going and going (cue up the pink Energizer bunny beating a drum), then repetition is not a bad thing, I suppose.

We are who we are and can be who we are not. We can never be who we were but can appear to repeat the actions of our previous selves. In other words, time for more humour - pardon my Scottish - look on the shite side of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment