20 October 2009

Once More Into The Breach

Last night, I sat with my wife and watched an hour of "Almost The Truth, The Lawyer's Cut," a series of interviews with comedians, writers, and others involved with or inspired by the Monty Python comedy team. I felt like I was watching the Discovery Channel about a series of excavations or True Hollywood Story about a cartoonish movie icon. It would be like finding out Alexander the Great didn't intend to conquer the known world - he just happened to go for a walk and a bunch of angry, fighting soldiers followed him around.

Meanwhile, in our TV viewing room, an American football game progressed along. With no guarantee of a victory, making every play essential, Moreno charged into the middle of the pile on 3rd and 1 in the second half of the ballgame, achieving his goal of reaching the first down marker, joining his teammates in their drive for success.

Two paragraphs - two means for adults to make names for themselves.

I think about the group of friends with whom I spent my childhood and the group of friends from my adulthood. How have we made names for ourselves? Did we mean to? Do we take turns charging forward to conquer our foes? Will we have the luxury to look back at ourselves and recount our victories for admirers?

Do you want to be talked about? More than likely. But who is your intended audience or set of admirers? An arena full of screaming fans? A kitchen full of loving family? A comfortable group of friends?

As my grandfather used to say, success is not the size of the wheelbarrow, but rather if you finished digging out the hole, no matter how big or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment