18 February 2010

Roger Bolton Is My Hero

While taking a walk under some high-voltage power lines to find the message an associate left me in the arrangement of some discarded construction material, I remembered a former work colleague of mine named Roger Bolton.  Roger was a computer software programmer, if my memories of him hold true.  He was also a long-distance road bicyclist.

Roger exemplified the persons I admired while growing up - dedicated to physical feats for personal enjoyment.

I saw Roger and his wife a year or so ago after he'd finished the Rocket City Marathon.  He was no longer making long-distance bike rides, having switched to long-distance running.

In Roger's biking days, he'd eat five small meals a day, making sure his nutrition intake and processing were running at optimal levels.

Roger is like many friends of mine who've devoted themselves to physical wellbeing, seeing their bodies as engines that run best when well-maintained.

Perhaps we could all learn a lesson from them.  I recently pulled a ligament in my knee area because I thought, after years of physical neglect, I could jump on a rowing machine and pretend to row across a large lake.  Start with a small pond first, I found out!

No comments:

Post a Comment