30 September 2009

Cloud Computing

When all is quiet and there are no major motivators for putting on my thinking cap, I sit and make few movements. I watch the world around me. I breathe. I blink. I perspire. I don't call my existence in that moment meditation because I am making no concrete effort to be. I just am in the moment, free from contemplating my existence.

Do we teach ourselves and our children to sit still without active observing? No need for distractions. No food. No exercise. No input from others or output from us.

Outside of this moment, I will take off my thinking cap and watch the Earth rotate, the Sun passing overhead and tree shadows passing through the forest. I will not compare what I see to anything. Later, I will return to the world of activity - prepare lunch, prepare work assignments, take care of business in general.

Jargon and language influence our lives. The phrase "cloud computing" has meaning to those in the high-tech field. For me, "cloud computing" is also about quiet existence in the moment. A cloud does not exist but we see water particles hanging together in the air and call them clouds. Our lives and our societies are the same. When we see this, we understand why we should take time to get away from active participation in the world around us and just sit for a quiet moment and do nothing but exist. No concentration on your breathing. No focusing on objects real or imaginary. Just sit and be, no matter who you are or what your background is.

Our species has come a long way as entities who exist but who do not exist. We have perpetuated our identities by assimilating our surroundings. Now is as good a time as any to recognize that our surroundings have been assimilating us at the same time. Positive reinforcement. Achievements beyond the imagination of ourselves. More achievements yet to come.

I am here because of all the cultures I have read about and participated in, making me part of the lives of all seven billion of us. Some part of you is in some part of me, too - mainly positive, I hope, but also a little negative, I know. I seek the positive first of all, accepting that negative aspects of my life, your life and our societies can create positive influences in the long-term but only if we take time to be conscious of what we're doing to/for one another.

Time for being for a moment. Talk to you (me) later.

No comments:

Post a Comment