28 September 2009

Is that in liters or pounds?

One thing about having a book about the future is looking at the present as if it's the past. Today is what, the 28th day of the ninth month of the calendar year used in this part of the world and this time period? I'll flip a few years ahead and read an interview with a financial analyst from the future.

"Thresinian, when did you make the switch to the new currency?"

"Well, Pertu, at first we weren't sure what effect the new currency would have. After all, unlike previous currencies, which have value based on established international exchange rates, the new currency has value in everyday life, too."

"Yes, I think we were confused at first."

"Eventually, after watching the fluctuating values settle into a relatively stable range, we started buying the currency in large quantities, some for future exchange and some for use at our company."

"I see."

"It was exhilarating, being able to put your hands on the currency anywhere you went."

"Yes, I've experienced the same sensation."

"Keep in mind, I have a room at my flat that I used for storing millions of paper money. I'd invite friends over so we could dive into the room and 'swim' through the paper. Now that the paper money is worthless, I've built a small indoor golf course of the new currency."

"You're not the only one. People make toy buildings and other structures of the new currency."

"Yes. We live in exciting times."

"We do. So tell me, Thresinian, do you ever wake up in the middle of the night craving the new currency?"

"You mean do I have 'salt deprivation complex'? No, I don't. But I like to pour salt on my food when I never used to. It's like burning paper money to start a fire when the money was still good. Thrilling to know you can afford to waste money without thinking about it."

"What's your assessment of the new desalination plants popping up all over the world?"

"Well, as you know, I had placed a buy on companies possessing salt mine rights. I still say hold on to those stocks because desalination is more expensive than pulling salt from underground mines. The governments of the world are looking at classifying salt by source so that sea salt might be permanently dyed to separate it from other salt sources on the currency market, creating a multi-tiered money market. I hear chefs are looking forward to offering flavored salts like rare vintage wines. Of course, you pay for it with regular salt. Archaeologists are putting ground-up ancient sea vessels on the market, hoping to cash in on this specialized salt currency craze. Stage musicians who used to throw towels to the crowd are having their salt extracted from the towels and sold in vials."

"Thresinian, I appreciate your assessment of the new currency. We're out of time. Thanks for this interview."

"Anytime, Pertu."

No comments:

Post a Comment