17 September 2009

Connect To More Hotspots

"Vladimir, thank you for inviting me."

"You are welcome, Barack. I also invited Hu to be here. What about you?"

"I have brought Pratibha with me."

"Greetings again, Vladimir."

They stood and looked at a map of the world.

Vladimir patted Barack on the back. "This is what you wanted?"

"Yes."

Hu put a hand on Barack's arm. "Welcome to the game of Risk. Have you played the game before?"

"Only in my dreams."

Pratibha held up the dice. "It appears to be a relatively simple game of strategy."

Vladimir smiled. "For you two, being new at the presidential task, it appears simple. Let me tell you, there are many levels here you cannot see. The dice are just the public view."

Hu laughed. "Yes, I see we have much to teach our apprentices. How shall we divide the world for tonight's game?"

"Barack, let us imagine that you have most of the Americas and Africa. In return, I will take the Canadian provinces and Greenland."

"Sounds good to me, Vladimir. What about you, Pratibha?"

"Let me have the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and Madagascar."

Hu laughed again. "Vladimir, do you remember when we first played this game, how easy it looked to gain world domination?"

"Yes, Hu, I do. You have taught me to be patient, a strategy I am liking more and more. Barack, you can see how thinly spread out you are, right?"

"Of course. But I figure there's more here than meets the eye. Let's say I'm willing to divide Africa in exchange for..." Barack's game opponents turned to look at him. "Well, Hu, you tell me. What's there in Africa that you're willing to take that'll benefit me somewhere else?"

Hu looked at Pratibha. "I think it's more interesting to ask what Russia has to offer India first."

Pratibha looked at Vladimir. "And I wonder what China has to offer Russia that both are offering to the Americas before this game has even started."

Vladimir poured four glasses of vodka. "In my country, we drink and then we talk. This game will wait a few minutes for us to get to know each other better, don't you think?"

A quiet knock on the door interrupted their toast. Vladimir frowned. "What is it?!"

"Mr. Prime Minister, it is the delegation from Europe and Japan. They want to know when they can come in."

Vladimir looked at his guests. "Well?"

They shook their heads. Vladimir nodded. "Tell them we will have the treaties ready in the morning. In time for big breakfast meeting in front of world press."

No comments:

Post a Comment