17 September 2009

Who Tests the Testers?

I found a curious difference in the way two free online language translators work:

1. Google Translate
I typed the phrase "Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei" in Google Translate and asked for a German-to-English translation. Result: "The Edukators"
2. Yahoo! Babel Fish
I typed the phrase "Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei" in Yahoo! Babel Fish and asked for a German-to-English translation. Result: "The fat years are past"
Just like I don't believe what I hear until after listening to more than one perspective, I don't believe what I read until after multiple sources have been researched to get a complete picture of an issue. Also, you get what you pay for. Free is always free to use or not to use.

I still haven't figured out the triple movie feature hint from a reader. Is it young people using technology for alternative uses, rearranging something? Is it multiple groups who are normally at each other's throats getting together for a conference in Chicago to reveal something unknown? Is it drug cartels finding out that they bought a set of fake paintings and the joke's on them? I admit I don't always get what people are trying to tell me and I accept the fact that I won't always be correct when I think I've solved their riddles. Oh well, on with my next story.

No comments:

Post a Comment