22 September 2009

Humour For The Day

I could search the Internet for the exact wording of the joke but I want to paraphrase it and go back to meditating on the future of our species.

A young man is sitting in his house by the river reading his favorite religious text. A series of thunderstorms passes through the area and causes flash flooding. The man prays for God to save him. A buddy in a pickup truck drives by and offers a ride. The man refuses and says, "Thanks but God will provide." As the water rises around his house, a friend in a fishing boat passes by and offers a ride. The man refuses and says, "Thanks but God will provide." The man climbs on the roof of his house as the water overtakes the inside. An emergency crew in a helicopter hovers overhead and offers a ride. The man refuses and says, "Thanks but God will provide." Eventually the man is swept away and drowned. In the afterlife, the man asks God what happened. God explains that he provided three opportunities for escape - if the man was so ignorant and blind, he might as well go on to the afterlife.

Similar to the phrase "when opportunity knocks on the door that is locked shut and the other door to opportunity just closed, climb out the window and say hello."

We don't always know what we see. Today is one of those days for me. I love my species but I'm not sure if I like the picture forming in my head, a conundrum beating out strange rhythms in my thoughts. I believe in a free society but the grocery store manager down the street disagrees, expecting payment for the food of his I want. Guess I can join the squirrels eating hickory nuts up in the trees and chew on some vinca.

No comments:

Post a Comment