27 August 2009

Sewing Guild of Mhothair

David and Cheryl, friends of mine, own the local franchise of a food store. They have been in and out of my life for probably 20 years. Tonight, my wife and I stopped for an after-work bite to eat at their place and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere - watching the workers behind the counter, the patrons with their WiFi-connected laptops and young people hanging out.

I pause here, wondering where this is going, because some of the faces hold fast in my vision. Did I just enter a place and exited without treating a single person in there as a human being? I do believe I did.

And that's why I feel the way I do this instant. I have floated through the world lately, watching bluegrass greats pick, department chairs sulk and new friends smirk, not once letting them know that I don't mind hearing what's on their mind.

A simple act of kindness. A simple act of neglect. A slight. A jab. A poke. A nibble. Guilty of all of the above, your honour.

Tomorrow's the end of the regular workweek in these parts. While I waver my finger over the pause button, contemplating Debra's nuclear engineering degree, Bob's infrared sensor technology from Israel, Ali's worry beads from Jordan and a Persian friend's music, I whip myself with a pair of chopsticks and a Guinness drink coaster. I will start up my life again momentarily. In this pause, I pause to wonder. Words are only symbols, representing action I can take or could have taken. The web of life broken. My strawberry-banana smoothie shaken. Jodie P, thanks for the sandwich and the smoothie - your dark hair, lined eyes and enamel smile wish me into submission - why didn't I hear a moment of your thoughts today? I am indebted to you. Another time, perhaps? Michael Jackson's ABC taking us into the next hour...

No comments:

Post a Comment