15 August 2009

From a Third to a Fifth

Comrade (yes, laugh at the word - it is intended as a joke),

It is as I feared. I had built the device just as we planned, with all the requisite covert surveillance units, but it failed to deploy successfully during test operations. Caught as I am in a suburban situation, I have few resources at my disposal that are safe from prying eyes. I had been purchasing replacement parts at a local hobby shop, with the knowledge that I was being observed, but I am tired of driving around to lose the low-paid government employees who followed me around.

When you take my place next week, I recommend you shop at the many thrift stores in the area, as well as some auto repair shops frequented by those who are new to this country, where you can blend in like any regular immigrant.

Do not wear your fancy dress clothes. They are suspicious of "clothes horses," as they call them. Wear second-hand clothing, which you can get free should you appear at distribution centers the local population has set up to serve the needs of those who are unable to work for their motherland (or fatherland, depending on the gender preference of the people you'll meet here).

I have placed the equipment where you will expect to find it, just as instructed. I know that back home they call me a maverick who does not obey orders but I will tell you that it is part of my cover. You will learn much more about the organization when you get here.

Remember when we were told the leaders here poison their own people in order to achieve their evil ends? Well, you will find out the truth. It is much more complicated than I thought and makes me wonder if our own leaders performed massive chemical experiments on us to create both monsters and geniuses from which they could pick for future missions. Perhaps you and I have been modified. Makes me want to get DNA samples from my dead parents to compare my siblings and me against!

I apologize for failing to meet the goals set before me. However, don't look at your early arrival as punishment for my mistakes. Think of it as an extended vacation away from your husband and kids.

I have stored some of your favorite food in the pantry. Before you com here, don't forget to wear your protective suit under your clothing - don't worry, the scanning devices at the airport cannot detect them. I hope to see you back home where we can laugh about the ignorance of the people here. Yes, many of our people back home are ignorant, too, but in a much more sophisticated way, as you will see.

Because of our time in this observation post, we are both promised to be promoted to higher offices. At least our leaders see this position for what it is, requiring skills we must develop on our own, and despite setbacks we are more valuable to our people for having served here.

Your brother in peace,
Nex'nint Cloeath

No comments:

Post a Comment